Story Behind putting up this Page: This Page about list of Famous GSBs have not only been put up by me to make people from GSB caste to become aware about the leading personalities belonging to their caste but also to make naive people belonging to other castes get aware about the GSB caste by way of knowing how many leading personalities that they know about belong to our GSB caste. For example, once while hosting the famous Cookery Show ‘Aamhi Sare Khavaiye’ on Zee Marathi famous Actor Prashant Damle told a GSB lady (who had specified to him in the show that before marriage she was CSB and after marriage she became a GSB) that he (Damle) would anyway dub her as “Saraswat”. So there are people who belong to other castes (e.g. Prashant Damle himself) who simply
dub GSBs and CSBs as “Saraswats” (without recognizing the hard fact) that both castes are different (although the middle letter denotes “Saraswat” in the GSB or CSB acronym). So there is this need to make aware those who belong to other castes as to how GSB community is not just some Tom, Dick and Harry Caste of India; but is a very progressive caste of India considering the hard fact that many of the leading personalities from different fields that they already know belong to our caste. So that awareness needs to be created by all GSB people so that our caste gets due respect which it must get and that guys like Prashant Damle must understand that it is improper to dub GSB and CSB as same caste just because a “Saraswat” word lies in both of them. Siddharth Mallya is a GSB boy while Deepika Padukone is CSB girl. This example must be given to make people understand that both GSB and CSBs are different castes in their own right and there is no need for guys like Prashant Damle to dub it into one caste by saying “Amchyasathi Tumhi Sagle Saraswat Aahat” (“You (whether GSBs or CSBs) are all Saraswats for us”). Although I am myself a very big fan of Prashant Damle I deeply got hurt by his comments whereby he simply disregarded the difference between 2 castes (the GSB and CSB) when the lady who came on the show tried to make her point and the callousness with which he said “Ok Ok. For us (other castes) You are a Saraswat whether GSB or CSB”. Now, it is true that there are some marriages happening between these 2 castes (the GSBs and CSBs). For example, Shubha Khote and Viju Khote’s mother was CSB. Shubha Khote married some Balsavar (a CSB) and gave birth to Bhavna Balsavar (who is a famous actress in Hindi TV serials. You can visit www.google.com and search for “bhavna balsavar pics” to view her pics to quickly know whom I am talking about. Basically, you can google ”bhavna balsavar pics” (without typing quotes) to view her pics). So such marriages happen between these 2 Saraswat Castes. I fully agree upon that. But, then there are similar marriages (with respect to magnitude (i.e., number of marriages)) happening between other upper castes too. For example, Rohini Oak (Konkastha/Chitpavan Brahmin) married Jaidev Hattangadi (a CSB) to become Rohini Hattangadi (famous actress we all know). Or Acharya Prahlad Keshav Atre’s Daughter married a GSB to become Shirish Pai. So inter-caste marriages in small numbers keep happening in India. And marriages of similar magnitude also happen between GSB and CSB caste. That must not make people dub GSB and CSB as one “Saraswat” Caste. In short, people from other communities must understand the difference between GSB and CSB as well as the fact that they must recognize our caste as famous caste because many famous people belong to our caste. So our caste must get its due distinction. For example, the North Indians would instantly recognize castes like Agarwal, Arora, Kayastha, Saryuparin Brahmin, Kanyakubja Brahmin, etc. In similar manner all Indians must start recognizing the GSB caste too. They must not ask what GSB stands for. And if you are a GSB it is your responsibility to post link of this web page everywhere on the net and send this link to as many acquaintances/friends from other communities thru email so as to make people aware about the famous GSB people they already know. Then, I hope they will stop asking what GSB stands for? The whole of India will understand (because of your efforts) that GSB Stands for “Goud Saraswat Brahmin” caste. If you could recollect there was this advert of a leading Electric Fan brand (if I am not mistaken Orient Fans) in yesteryears “PSPO Nahi Jante?” Waise India bolna Chahiye “GSB Nahi Jante?” My dear friends, today is the world of marketing. The more you will bombard people and tom-tom about your caste the more recognition your caste will get amongst Indian people. Otherwise, people will ask you “What is GSB yaar?” It is like this. Many Indian People know Vijay Mallya, KV Kamath (of ICICI Bank), Sunil Gavaskar, Sachin Tendulkar, Ashok Saraf, Sachin Pilgaonkar, Shobha De, Social Activist Medha Patkar (of Narmada Bachao Andolan (NBA) fame), etc. But, unfortunately, they don’t know the caste these famous people belong to (that is, the GSB Caste). So there is indeed a need to create awareness amongst people of India such that they must not ask what GSB stands for. This helps in case of Matrimony as well (For example, if in a matrimonial advert you say “Suitable Match Wanted for GSB boy (or GSB girl)” a person (belonging to other caste) reading that advert must first quickly understand what GSB stands for and again he/she must understand that GSB is a very progressive caste of India (Otherwise, he/she may not give due importance to the word “GSB” or may even go to the extent of believing that it is some lower level caste or something of that sort). So even if you are some GSB who is not hell bent of marrying within same caste (as you don’t believe in caste system or its rigidness) it makes sense for you to give enough publicity about the GSB caste so that people don’t start considering you as a lower caste guy (or something of that sort) when you mention GSB is a matrimonial advert. So once as a GSB you do enough tom toming about your caste on the net and people start understanding that a whole lot of famous personalities belong to your caste then GSB caste will automatically be known to a lot of people in India (and with the help of Internet and Social Networking Sites you can very easily do it! (that too, without incuring whole lot of expense. So start publicizing this web page everywhere. In fact, you don’t even have to give detail web address of this page. All that you got to tell people is google “famous gsb people” and tell them that they will get the list of people belonging to GSB caste. You will be glad to know that Google puts up this web page high on its list when someone searches for “famous gsb people”. So no need at all to remember web page address (URL))
List of Famous People belonging to GSB caste which speaks for the hard fact that there may not be a single field in this world where a GSB person has not shot to fame in his field (as mentioned by me in CASE STUDY: Preetha (a fight of a GSB girl) posted at http://marriageandlife.wordpress.com/2010/11/17/preetha/ in my current blog). Standard Disclosure: I have prepared this list with great efforts and care and many of the people mentioned in this list had themselves mentioned in their TV Interviews or otherwise that they are GSBs. Again, there are famous people like Madhur Bhandarkar, Rajdeep Sardesai (of CNN IBN Channel), Amruta Patki, etc. who had very proudly told me that they are GSBs thru their Tweets/Messages specially sent to me on Twitter. Similarly, there are many personalities in the list below whom I personally know that they are GSBs. Yet, I would like to mention that if there has been a mistake in the list mentioned below it has not been purposely done and if anyone has any objection whatsoever about their entries they must send me email specifying in writing to me if they wish to omit their names from this list. Thanks:
List of Famous GSBs:
1. Vijay Mallya (of United Breweries and Kingfisher fame). Profession: Business. He has a Networth of over Rs. 6,000 Crores (This information was shown on India’s Premier TV Channel (either History Channel or ‘V’ as far as I could remember). Vijay Mallya and Sachin Tendulkar are perhaps the richest GSBs on earth as far as my knowledge goes.
2. K. V. Kamath (Kundapur Vaman Kamath) (of ICICI Group fame) Profession: Finance. He has been awarded Padmabhushan by Government of India. But, I would say he deserved a PadmaVibhushan from Government of India. He is undoubtedly the Napolean of Indian Banking Industry (Remember, the famous quote about Napolean “He came. He saw. He conquered”). Similarly, Mr. Kamath took over as the CEO of the erstwhile ICICI Ltd. way back in 1996 and he came in the Indian Finance Industry, he saw that Indian customers were not getting the respect they deserved and he just went on to conquer the market place by giving them products and quality service that Indian consumers always deserved but were not getting. He had the vision to give the Indian customer what due respect he/she (Indian customer) was not getting in the market place before ICICI Bank started giving it. So he not only started ICICI Bank but also was the architect of the Reverse Merger of ICICI Ltd. with ICICI Bank Ltd. ICICI Bank’s USP (Unique Selling Proposition) was leveraging on Technology, continuously improving itself as well as building up good customer relationships with customers which last long by giving due respect to them in very respect in general and politeness in particular. For example, most banks I knew including several Foreign Banks had a ‘take it or leave it’ attitude. First of all, charges for various products are higher (always compare them for any services before you choose any Bank over ICICI Bank. Just to begin with compare Demat Account Charges of reputed banks and you will find ICICI Bank offers its products at competitive rates compared to most banks. Actually, I am planning to launch two more blogs. One to teach “Investing” and another a Political blog (to expose Anna Hazare, Arvind Kejriwal, Kiran Bedi, etc. As if current Politicians are not enough this new set of people (Team Anna) are here to fool us and I am going to expose them to the public (which will prove that even if we use commonsense we wont ever get fooled by such people like Team Anna). Anyways coming back to Mr. K. V. Kamath – Mr. Kamath due to his vision as that of Napolean changed it all. He made ICICI Bank give a great service to customers and he had the vision of introducing various products like Web Broking, Insurance, etc. on time and being tech savvy Kamath knew how to bring in new technologies for Indian customers and leverage on it. I came in touch with Mr. Kamath in the year 2000 and we both had seen each other’s growth very closely. Mr. Kamath knows my success story and I have been a witness to how he grew ICICI Bank in all those years. In fact, I have been observing him since 1996 itself when there was no ICICI Bank but just ICICI Ltd. which he headed as CEO/MD (But, Mr. Kamath knew me since February 2000). I found that Mr. Kamath lends an ear to everyone’s suggestions and give due respect to everyone he comes across (in fact, he invited me for lunch in ICICI Bank Towers just after a few suggestions I gave him to improve ICICI Bank and I am very impressed by his overall personality and his vision when I had met him and had lunch with him). Mr. Kamath has engineered to make ICICI Bank a global conglomerate that it is today. Today, I can vouch that ICICI Bank and many of its subsidiaries give customer service which is par excellence and more over ICICI Bank offers ‘value for money’ services in practically every field of Indian Finance such that there is no need for ICICI Bank to fear about world competition (because even foreign banks don’t give such a good service and ‘value for money’). If Babasaheb Ambedkar is considered the architect of Indian constitution or Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru is considered the architect of Modern India or Homi Bhabha is considered the Architect of Atomic Energy of India it wouldn’t be an over statement if Mr. K.V. Kamath is considered the Architect of ICICI Bank as it stands tall today. So in all respect I would say that he deserves a PadmaVibhushan and many Indian Banking customers (who used ICICI Bank services) will echo my opinion.
By the way, Mr. K. V. Kamath and I have the ‘amchigele’ (which in Konkani stands for ‘my people’) feelings for people belonging to our caste.
3. Sachin Tendulkar (Kudaldeshkar GSB) Profession: Cricketer. He deserves a ‘Bharat Ratna’ in true respect. And I am sure he will definitely get it. Perhaps, our bureaucrats are not willing to give him Bharat Ratna because of his young age. But, just imagine he has so many cricket records besides making more than 50 Cricket Centuries in Test History he surely deserves a ‘Bharat Ratna’. After all, when Lata Mangeshkar, Pandit Bhimsen Joshi were given due respect and given Bharat Ratna shouldn’t Sachin Tendulkar be given a Bharat Ratna considering his phenomenal contribution to Cricket? Besides, Sachin also has shown generosity by donating money (Although, his donation is very negligible to his earnings. I personally feel that Sachin must donate more! Sachin Tendulkar is earning around Rs. 6.25 lakhs per hour (as shown on Zee 24 Taas recently. Zee 24 Taas is India’s leading Marathi News Channel). Now, Rs. 6.25 Lakhs per hour means he earns Rs. 150 Lakhs per day (which consists of 24 hours). So simple maths tell you that Sachin Tendulkar earns over Rs. 54750 Lakhs per annum (which means Rs. 547.50 Crores an year). So Sachin Tendulkar must at least donate 1/10th of this amount for social causes as per advise of Upanishads. Upanishads are holy books of the Hindus that give advise to Hindus on how to lead their lives and strongly recommend to all Hindus that they must donate (for social well-being of the society) at least 1/10th of what they earn. So, I expect Sachin Tendulkar to donate at least Rs. 54.75 Crores an year). If he does that then he will become Bharat Ratna in the truest sense to all Indians. Sachin Tendulkar got to realize that India is a poor country and there are over 50% people in this country who are extremely poor and downtrodden and that it is the duty of rich people like Sachin Tendulkar, Vijay Mallya, etc. (who have become super rich people) to donate at least 10% of their yearly earnings to social causes (like building hospitals. For that matter, although a lot of tom toming is done by many Indians about India Growth story the sad story which I will be revealing in my blog in one of my future posts is that even the Indian middle class doesn’t have access to good healthcare services. So even if Sachin Tendulkar starts a hospital for middle class where middle class people will be given good healthcare at reasonable costs which they can afford it would be a great social cause (if it is done at no-profit no loss basis or minor profits).
4. Sunil Gavaskar (Vaadikar GSB) Profession: Cricketer. He deserves to be given PadmaVibhushan for his terrific contribution to Cricket. India in the yesteryears have saved many a defeats in Test Matches just because of Gavaskar’s batting. Besides, he was the first man on earth to cross 10000 runs. How can we ever forget his contribution to Indian cricket and World Cricket as well? I am given to understand that Sunil Gavaskar’s Kuldaivat and my Kuldaivat is Lord Mangesh (of Mangueshi in Goa) and that He always wore a locket of ‘Lord Mangesh’ which he used to purposely keep hanging from his neck down outside his Shirt while he played every ball. Whether he gets a Bharat Ratna or not, there is no denying the fact that He already is a Ratna created by Lord Mangesh himself and that’s why he could get such a fantastic talent to play cricket and get applause from none other than Sir Donald Bradman who got so impressed by his cricket that he called him the ‘Little Master’. Subsequently, when Sir Donald Bradman saw Sachin Tendulkar’s game he saw himself and his aggression in Sachin Tendulkar. And Mr. Gavaskar’s greatness lies in the fact that in an open stadium (in front of lakhs of people in the stadium) he (Gavaskar) touched the feat of Sachin Tendulkar (making Sachin very embarassed) acknowledging that Sachin was the greatest of all in Cricket after Bradman. So I also want Government of India to acknowledge these two great cricketers by giving them Bharat Ratna and PadmaVibhushan respectively as due respect to them.
5. Dilip Vengsarkar (Vaadikar GSB) Profession: Cricketer
6. Ashok Saraf Profession: Hindi/Marathi film actor. He and his wife (Nivedita Saraf) never fails to visit GSB Wadala Ganapati each year (This fact was revealed by Ashok Saraf’s wife on ETV Marathi’s popular cooking show ‘Mejwani’ which is aired at 1:30 PM Mon-Sat).
7. Sachin Pilgaonkar Profession: Hindi/Marathi film actor/director (who doesn’t know Sachin-Sarika jodi of yesteryears in the Hindi film industry. Apart from playing many roles small and big in Hindi films he also contributed substantially for the Marathi film industry. He has many first to his account right from being awared the first National Award for Films for Child Actor to the first winner of dancing competition on TV which he won along with his wife Supriya. Interestingly, Supriya was also a GSB girl (Supriya Sabnis) before marriage with Sachin which speaks for the hard fact that Indians are particularly very keen to marry someone within the caste).
8. Pu La Deshpande Profession: Famous Marathi Writer who enjoyed such a special place in Marathi hearts that he came to be known as “Maharashtrachye Laadke Vyaktimahtva” (Maharashtra’s most liked personality). In fact, Pu La Deshpande’s grandmother and grandfather both were Karwari GSBs and Pula had fondly written on her grandmother too in one of his famous writings.
9. Mangesh Padgaonkar Profession: Poet who wrote numerous Marathi famous songs which became ‘Ajramar’ (Immortal). Some of his well known Marathi songs are: “Haasun Laajane He, Laajun He Pahane Mee Olakhun Ahe Sare Tuje Bahane”, “Diwas Tuje Pulayache Zhopalya Vachun Jhulaiche”,”Ya Jeevanavar Ya Marnyavar Shatada Prem Karave”,”Ye Re Ghana”, “Shukra Tara Mand Vara Tu Ashi Zavali Raha’ and the list of his famous Marathi songs which are all time hits even heard decades after they were written by him is virtually endless. Most of his poems (which later got converted into songs due to able music directors) were romantic. Just to quote the famous line from one of his songs:
Haati Dhanushya Jyachya Tyaalaa Kase Kalave
Krudhayaat Baan Jyachya Tyaalaach Dukkha Thave
Tirpa Kataksha Bholaa; Aamhi Ithe Diwaane
Mee Olakhun Aahe Saare Tujhe Bahaane
Hindi Translation of above lines in Marathi:
Haath Mein Jiske Dhanushya Ho Usse Kya Pata Hoga
Jiske Krudhaya Mein Baan Laga Hoga Ussi Ko Toh Wah Dukh Pata Hoga
Uski Bholi Nazaar Humpein Yu Padi; Aur Hum Yaha Pe Diwaane Hogaye
Par Hum Ye BhaliBhanti Jaante Hai Ji; Ye Aapke Saare Bahaane Hai ji.
WOW! When you write such aptful lines aren’t they going to become ever hit songs when given the right music by talented music directors? The meaning of the above lines is
How will the person (lady) who holds the Bow know
the pain of the person (the man) who has been hit by the arrow (shot by her) right in his heart?
She (unknowingly) gives a glance at me (as if she doesn’t know anything about what she has done); but I just became mad over here already
But I know for sure that this glance of hers at me is not totally that unknowing as she shows off. But These are all her excuses (or “Bahaane” as in Hindi) to draw attention towards her (After all, she knows fully well that she is beautiful and her arrow has already struck right in someone’s heart and have already injured him miserably. But still she surprisingly behaves as though she knows absolutely nothing about it!)
When you write such romantic poems talented music directors are bound to give music to such beautifully written lines and make hit songs out of them. And the same thing happened in case of Mangesh Padgaonkar.
In order to hear the above song right now on your PC please visit http://www.in.com/ and you will see a search box (powered by Google) and you will see Music (click that) and there type “Laajun Hasane” (without quotes) and then press Enter and then when you see the list below just check mark (on the right hand side of “Laajun Hasane” and select “Play Selected” and you will be able to hear the song (with your speakers on). However, please remember that sometimes due to in.com’s internal error some other song like “Darde Disco” gets played initially instead of “Laajun Hasane” (in which case you will have to cancel it by closing the window) and then again clicking “Play Selected”. If you know Marathi you will appreciate the song and music too (I think music was given by Hridaynath Mangeshkar and song was sung by him as well).
The poems he wrote were given music by talented music directors and these poems became evergreen Marathi songs in no time. But, like many talented poets Mangesh Padgaonkar was a bit whimsical in nature earlier. So once when Yeshwant Dev (a very talented Music Director) phoned him up after reading his poem and told him that he thought of a tune for his poem the voice at the other end (that of Mangesh Padgaonkar) thundered “Why the hell do you want to give a tune to my poem?” Then Yeshwant Dev hit back “I will give the tune anyways. I just don’t care whether you like it or not. As a music director I just cannot remain silent when you write such beautiful lines. Tunes just come to me in my mind. I just cannot control. And if you have the right to write poems. I have the right to give such poems my music.” After this argument our Whimsical Poet Mangesh Padgaonkar agreed to hear Yeshwant Dev’s tune to his poem and got impressed. Subsquently, he allowed his beautiful poems to be give tunes to so that they could reach into the hearts of all Marathi people and the rest is history. Many of his poems soon got converted into Marathi Bhavgeet and became immortal into the hearts of Marathi people.
Mangesh Padgaonkar is indeed a legend and we must all be proud that he belongs to our caste.
10. Baa Ba Borkar (Famous Marathi Poet). Goan GSB. Although he was Konkani His Marathi Poems were of so great quality that it became immortal. What’s more, he described the beauty of Konkan (and particularly Goa) so nicely and drew attention of mankind to the hard fact that God (and mother Earth) has gifted us (human beings) with so much of nature’s beauty (That is evident in Konkan region too. To really enjoy seeing Konkan region of India one must book a Ticket on Konkan Railway Train from Mumbai to Kerala and see the scenic beauty from the Window of the train rather than taking a Flight to Kerala in a plane. And avoid the temptation of taking an AC compartment in any of the Konkan Railway trains because then you will not be able to enjoy the scenic beauty of Konkan (which you ought to see without any glass window in between) and its fresh air. Since AC compartments are closed you will not be able to enjoy beauty of Konkan Region by taking a ticket of AC comparment. So it is highly recommended that to really enjoy seeing Konkan region (which is the California of India) you got to travel in a First Class compartment (or Second Class) which will have open windows which will enable you to see scenic beauty without obstruction and also to breathe in fresh natural air of the Konkan Region.
11. Roopa Phene Kudwa (Karwari GSB) (CEO, CRISIL).
12. Vishaka Palekar Mulye (Karwari GSB) (CEO, ICICI Venture Capital).
13. J.G. Nadkarni (Karwari GSB) (one of India’s Ex-Naval Admiral – which is the highest post in Navy).
14. Dilip Prabhavalkar (Famous Marathi Actor. But, in Hindi film he had played the role of Gandhi in “Lage Raho Munnabhai”.
15. Varsha Usgaonkar (Goan GSB) Famous Marathi Actress.
16. Vandana Vaknis (Marathi Actress. One of her latest characters which one can remember is Manaswini Desai’s mother in famous Marathi TV Serial ‘Lajja’ on Zee Marathi). She also plays the role of Satyajit Mudhodkar’s mother in the Zee Marathi TV Serial named “Tu Tithe Mee”. Actually, in the beginning I thought it was Satyajit Mudholkar. But, when I saw his Divorce Papers (shown in close up in the TV Serial) which he wanted his wife Manjiri Mudhodkar to sign I learnt that his name was not Satyajit Mudholkar but he was Satyajit Mudhodkar (played by Chinmay Mandlekar. I am a big fan of Chinmay Mandlekar as he is a fabulous actor who came out of the coveted NSD (National School of Drama (which is considered the IIMs or IITs of Acting if compared with Management or Technology field institutes)).
17. Kishori Ambiye (Marathi Actress. Currently plays role of a character “Padmini By Kolhapur” in the famous TV Serial “Ya Gojirwanya Gharat” on ETV Marathi or plays role of Manaswini Desai’s uncle’s wife in famous Marathi TV Serial ‘Lajja’ on Zee Marathi).
18. Subhash Bhende (Marathi Writer).
19. Atmaram Bhende (Actor) (He is famous Marathi actor. But, if you are non-Marathi but have seen the Hindi film “Lage Raho Munnabhai” let me remind you that he played the role of the father in the 2nd Innings house whose son is a corporate bigshot and a boxer who is later given ‘Laffas’ by Munnabhai (played by Sanjay Dutt).
20. Manorama Wagle. A Karwari GSB (and Marathi Actress).
21. Milind Gunaji (Actor who shot to fame in Hindi film industry with the song “Ye Ankhen Jhuki Jhuki Ye Chera Khilla Khilla. Badi Kismatwala Hai Woh Pyaar Tera Jisse Mila”. Suman Ranganathan who was his co-actress in that film is nowhere seen nowadays. But, this guy still plays many character roles in Hindi films. As far as his Teleserials are concerned he shot to fame with “Bhatkanti” and nowadays “Discover Maharashtra” (both shows of Zee Marathi) where he plays the anchor who travels to different places in Maharashtra and becomes our Travel guide. You can google the name “Milind Gunaji” to see how he looks (for those who don’t know). And you will quickly recollect him as the bearded man in the famous Hindi Movie Song “Dola Re Dola Re Dola Re Dola …” starring Madhuri Dixit-Aishwarya Rai. Milind’s mother is a Goan (which Milind had mentioned in a TV Show). How I knew that Milind Gunaji was a GSB? It was because of my Maternal Uncle (Mama) whose close relative (relative of my Mami) got engaged to Milind Gunaji and then the engagement abruptly ended and marriage didn’t materialize. Since Milind Gunaji had shot to fame by then, the word soon spread amongst my family members. Before my Mama told me even I didn’t knew that Milind Gunaji could be a GSB (Goud Saraswat Brahmin).
22. Deepa Mambre (Now, Deepa Awchat) of Goa Portuguesa (Mumbai’s Premier Restaurant) fame.
23. Amol Muzumdar (Ex-Captain Ranji Cricket Team of Mumbai).
24. Amruta Patki. She is a leading model and was also on the panel of Judges in the famous ETV Marathi’s Dance Reality Show ‘Dholkichya Talavar’.
25. Ashok Patki. He is the ultimate wonder of the music and advertising industry. He started by giving tune to the jingle “Ye Dherse Kapde Main Kaise Duhu. Accha Sabun Main Kahase Laun” (remember this was the jingle for “Double Blue” soap. People forgot the soap. But, jingle which got played in Vivid Bharti to Doordarshan became the hit and was on the lip of every Indian and a star jingle director was born. Today, Ashok Patki has done more than 5000 jingles for adverts and you see most TV Serials in Zee Marathi or ETV Marathi and you will see that he has given music to their title songs too (for example, “Ya Gojirvanya Gharat” or “Amhi Sare Khavaiye”. Closely observe who had given music to these title songs of most TV serials in Marathi (almost all Marathi channels) and you will see most of the time the name “Ashok Patki”.
26. Sharvani Pillai (earlier Sharvani Dhond). Marathi Actress (plays nagging wife of actor Avishkar Darvekar in Star Pravah’s famous Marathi TV Serial “Tuzhe Ni Mazhe Ghar Shrimantache”.
27. Pari Telang (Karwari GSB) Marathi Actress (plays Medha an inspector in the TV Serial Mai-Lek currently telecasted in ETV Marathi at 7:00 pm). She is also starring in the recently launched Marathi film “Guldasta”. You can google the name “Pari Telang” to see how she looks.
28. Atul Kasbekar (Ace Fashion photographer. You have seen him driving “Zylo” in the “Zylo” adverts in which he takes all those models to their destination and while they go he says “I am 6 feet 3″ so show that there is enough leg room in a Zylo – a SUV Car).
29. Padmaja Phenani Joglekar (famous singer). She has been awarded Padmashree by Government of India.
30. Ramdas Kamat (famous actor and singer)
31. Aarti Prabhu (Actually, his real name is Chintamani Tryambak Khanolkar. But, being a poet his token name he wrote as ‘Aarti Prabhu’. So the famous poet ’Aarti Prabhu’ is not a lady (although Aarti is typically a femine name). But in reality he was a man who had assumed a token name “Aarti Prabhu”). He is very famous Marathi poet (whose several songs in Marathi became super hit like “Kunachya Khandyavar Kunache Ozey” from the most Famous Marathi Film named ”Samna”).
32. Medha Jambhotkar (Karwari GSB. Daughter of Manorama Wagle) plays role of mother of a polio affect daughter (Nandini, if I am not mistaken) in famous TV Serial aired on Star Plus at 12:30pm (I think the TV Serial’s name is “Yeh Rishta Kya Kehlata Hai”). You have seen her in many adverts on TV. She is also seen as mother-in-law of one Mrs. Kavita Sharma in the famous advert of Lipton Taaza (Tea). The storyline of the advert goes like this – Two friends meet on a bridge or public place after several years. One is Kavita Sharma who is housewife and other is a banker. Kavita invites her to her house as it is nearby. Her friend gets impressed by Kavita’s cooking skills by eating her Swadisth Khana and speaks out “Aisa Hi Swadista Khana Humein Agar Hamari Bank Mein Milta Toh …” And the very moment Kavita gets the idea (while drinking Taaza Tea) to start a tiffin service for her friend’s bank branch. Then, friend comes with a cheque for her first payment toward the tiffin service of Kavita. Then, her proud mother-in-law says “Us Kavita Nahi. Catering Manager Kaho” and the tag line “Taaza Ho Le” play itself out. Now, you may have seen this advert on TV many a times. The lady who plays Kavita Sharma’s mother-in-law in this easy to recollect advert of Lipton Taaza Tea is Medha Jambhotkar (who is a famous Marathi Actress).
33. Rekha Kamat (Famous Marathi Actress).
34. Meena Naik (Rekha Kamat’s sister. She is also a Marathi actress). You have seen her in latest advert of (if I am not mistaken Spray for cockroaches) in which she plays the role of a Teacher who says “Impossible!” when her pupil tells her that he couldn’t find a cockroach in his house in 6 weeks.
35. Mohan Wagh (Karwari GSB). Now, who doesn’t know Mohan Wagh – the doyen of Marathi Theatre who was very innovative and brought in revolving sets in Marathi Theatre. Known for his famous Theatre company “Chandralekha”. And to those who don’t know Marathi Theatre let me tell you that he was the Art director of the ever green all time Hindi Hit Film “Pakeezaa” (remember the songs of Meena Kumari “Inhi Logone”, “Thade Rahiyon”, etc. of Pakeezaa”). He was also father-in-law of Raj Thackeray.
36. Sudhir Bhat (Karwari GSB). He is the entreprenuer. He runs the famous Marathi Theatre company named “Suyog” that recently re-launched “Sahi Re Sahi”. But, Suyog’s all time hit Marathi Natak was “Moruchi Maushi”. Apart from theatre Sudhir Bhat is also a decent interior decorator (who did interiors of the house of Ashok Patki (his friend mentioned above already). And Sudhir Bhat also launched his restaurant in Pune. It is worth mentioning that he is class mate of Vithal Kamat (of ‘Orchid – The Ecotel Hotel’ fame) and had worked in his restaurant in his earlier years of life. He talks blatantly and is out-spoken person. Like me and K.V. Kamath (of ICICI Fame) he has soft-corner for people of our caste (The ‘Amchi gele’).
37. Vithal Kamat (Karwari GSB). Now, who doesn’t know the Kamat group of hotels and famous 5 Star Eco-Tel Hotel named “Orchid” in Mumbai?
38. Umesh Kamat. Played the roles of Adinaath and Mahadev in famous TV Serial “Asambhav” on Zee Marathi. You have seen him in numerous adverts like the advert of a job portal (if i am not mistaken) Naukri.com in which he says “H for Hitler; A fo Arrogant; R for Rascal; I for Idiot” when his boss’ name is HARI SADU. His boss always gets angry on his subordinates and ill-treats them. A phone comes to his boss and as his boss picks up the phone and tells his name the other person at the other end asks to spell his name. So Umesh Kamat who plays the subordinate asks him (the boss) whether he could oblige by telling the caller his spelling on phone. The boss nods and he (Umesh) takes up the phone and starts telling the spelling of HARI SADU (along with the words for each letter like “H for Hitler; A fo Arrogant; R for Rascal; I for Idiot”).
39. Ninad Kamat. He is a good actor. Had done serials in Hindi. But, also acted in adverts. Who won’t remember the famous advert of “Navratna Tel” in which Amitabh Bachchan becomes the secretary of his newly arrived boss who is played by Ninad Kamat. Amitabh introduces himself “Sir, Ye Aap Ki Kursi. Main Aap Ka PA. Aur Ye Aap Ka Ambulance Number”. And Ninad asks Amitabh why Ambulance Number is been written above and Amitabh says “Sir. Cabin Itna Bada Hai. Toh Workload Bhi Bada Hoga. Workload Bada Hoga Toh Tension Bhi Bada Hoga. Toh Ambulance Toh Kabhi Bhi Lag Sakti Hai”. Ninad asks Amitabh “Koi Upai” and Amitabh replies “Hai Na. Navratna Tel” and Ninad shots back “Tel!” and Amitabh corrects him ”Tel Nahi Sir! Navratna Tel”. Similarly, Ninad’s latest advert flashed on TV is that of “Hit” Spray for mosquitoes (if I am not mistaken) in which he first falls of staircase but tells his wife “I am Okay!”. Then, he falls on ground when someone opens the car door which hits him while he is jogging. He tells them confidently “He is Okay! Nothing to worry”. But, when a mosquito bites him he lands up in hospital and the doctor tells the nurse it is Malaria which has infected Ninad. And nurse assures him “Nothing to Worry. Hit Laiye. Ek Bhi Macchar Nahi Bachega”. If you have seen Lageraho Munnabhai you cannot forget Ninad playing the role of a Lawyer whom Sanjay Dutt (who plays Munnabhai) asks “how much time will it take to get back 2nd Innings House”. In the beginning Ninad confidently says 6 months and then when Sanjay Dutt grills him further and asks him to give it in writing and Ninad then keeps on increasing the tenure (clearly depicting how law takes its own big big time in India). Ninad might not have been that successful as an actor but the real fact is that he is a very good actor as seen from the roles he played in various adverts/films he had got chance in. Just observe his facial expressions and you could understand how nicely he can play comedy roles as seen in Navratna advert alongwith Amitabh Bachchan and that small role of lawyer in Lage Raho Munnabhai. Now, how much a person can become successful also depends on luck. But, Ninad definitely is a talented actor particularly for comedy roles.
40. Mayuresh Pai. (Music Director)
41. Dr. T.M.A. Pai (of Manipal Fame)
42. T. Mohandas Pai (of Infosys Fame)
43. Baban Prabhu. Famous Marathi actor of the 1970s. His famous Marathi play “Dinuchya Sasubai Radhabai” became immortal in the history of Marathi theatre. It was a hilarious comedy (“Farce” type of Comedy. Actually, Atmaram Bhende and Manorama Wagle mentioned above played roles in that play. Later the same play was introduced back in to theatre with Dilip Prabhavalkar and Ashok Saraf. So this play was mostly was made immortal by all GSB actors).
44. Manva Naik (Hindi TV Serial actress). She is daughter of Meena Nayak mentioned above.
45. Ambarish Baliga (anyone who watches those Business TV channels whether CNBC TV18, CNBC Awaaz or any) know him as a Stock Market Expert.
46. Sandeep Shenoy (anyone who watches those Business TV channels whether CNBC TV18, CNBC Awaaz or any) know him as a Stock Market Expert.
47. Ganesh Shanbhag (anyone who watches those Business TV channels whether CNBC TV18, CNBC Awaaz or any) know him as a Stock Market Expert.
48. Shobha De (previously Shobha Rajyadhyaksha). Famous Model and Writer.
49. Dyaneshwar Nadkarni (Konkani GSB from Karwar. Brother of J.G. Nadkarni mentioned above) Profession: Marathi Writer/Film and Theatre Critic. In fact, Film Actor Vikram Gokhale feels that he is probably one of the few people who needs to be called a Film/Theatre Critic in the real sense.
50. Vijaya Rajyadhyaksha. Profession: Marathi Writer
51. V.N. Nadkarni (Ex-Chairman, State Bank of India). He is also Konkani GSB from Karwar.
52. Gurudas Kamat (Member of Parliament, Congress Party leader). He is my distant relative.
53. Satish Dubashi (Famous Marathi Actor of 1970s). He prominently was a Theatre Actor. But, had played roles in Marathi films like Simhasan (his role of D’costa a upright Socialist Union leader was greatly applauded) and “Bala Gau Kashi Angai” (with the famous Marathi song “Nimbonichya Zhada Mage Chandra Zopalaga Bai”). He is also Atye Bahu (Cousin) of famous Pu La Deshpande.
54. Vithal C. Nadkarni (writes his columns in Economic Times and The Times of India) quite regularly.
55. Dr. Manohar Kamath (He is reputed doctor and famous lawyer who fights Medical cases in consumer courts). He is my distant relative.
56. Ashank Desai (of Mastek fame). He is also my distant relative.
57. Leela Alwaris (previously Leela Kulkarni). She was Karwari GSB lady and a socialist leader in the 1960s and married Peter Alwaris (another famous socialist leader in the 1960s).
58. Durga Khote (Famous Actress)
59. Viju Khote (Famous actor). His role of ‘Kalia’ in the famous Hindi film ‘Sholay’ gave him fame. But, he had played many leading roles as well in other films, TV serials like “Zabaan Sambhalke” and English Theatre.
60. Shubha Khote (Famous Actress). Viju’s sister. She is currently playing the role of Lakshmi’s Grandmother and Mahadev ThakurDesai’s mother in ETV Marathi’s TV Serial ‘Lek Ladki Ya Charchi’ (currently shown on ETV Marathi Mon-Sat 7:30PM).
61. Daya Nayak (Dayanand Nayak) Mumbai’s Encounter Cop (The hindi film “Ab Tak Chappan” was inspired by the work that Daya Nayak had put for Mumbai Police force).
62. Ramakant Kulkarni (Karwari GSB). He was Ex-Inspector General of Police, Maharashtra State. He solved many famous police cases. He is commentator Harsha Bhogle’s father-in-law.
63. P.D.Kasbekar (Karwari GSB). He was Ex-Chief Secretary, Maharashtra State. He is Atul Kasbekar’s Grandfather’s brother. Atul Kasbekar’s name is already mentioned above.
64. Datta Samant (Union leader)
65. Dada Samant (Datta Samant’s brother. Also Union Leader)
66. Mohandas Sukhtankar (Actor)
67. Ashwini Yardi (Programming Head, Colors)
68. Rajesh Kamat (CEO, Colors)
69. Swati Deval (Previously, Swati Bhat). is Marathi Actress. Earlier was Swati Bhat. Now, married to Tushar Deval (a Konkanastha Brahmin) who was drummer in the comedy programme “Fu Bai Fu” on Zee Marathi. Swati Deval if you could remember was a bar dancer who married Akshaya Abhyankar in the popular TV Serial named ‘Kalat Nakalat’ on Zee Marathi. Now, if you wish to see her she currently plays the role of Shalaka in a TV Serial ‘Parijat’ on Saam TV. She has also earlier participated in Zee Marathi’s ‘Eka Peksha Ek’ (the dancing talent show like ‘Nach Baliye’).
70. Nikhil Wagle (of IBN Lokmat and ‘Mumbai Aaple Mahanagar’ fame).
71. Rajdeep Sardesai (of CNN IBN fame).
72. Jayant Salgaonkar (of Kalnirnay fame).
73. Sharad K. Mahale (Ex-Technical Director, German Remedies and Cadila Healthcare).
74. Madhur Bhandarkar (of “Chandni Bar”, “Corporate”, “Traffic Signal” fame).
75. Mulgaonkar (who made Telco or Tata Motors are really big company due to the trust bestowed upon him by none other than JRD Tata).
76. Kamlakar Nadkarni (famous Marathi Theatre Critic).
77. P. J. Nayak (of UTI and later Axis Bank fame).
78. Wamanrao Pai (Adhyatmik Guru. Basically, He is like Sri Sri Ravishankar of ‘Art of Living’ fame. Actually, most of these people tell the same kind of things that I have known for years of experience about life. So I don’t find anything new about what they tell to the world. And I don’t give much importance to such people either because I can prove to anyone that such people are not great in the real sense. In fact, I have strong reasons to believe that all these people whether ‘Osho’ or Sri Sri Ravishankar or Wamanrao Pai and their likes including Deepak Chopra get followers in large numbers because they create a hype about themselves using the media (which I am not doing. So I don’t have big following like these people. But, I have learnt more from life a lot and I can also debate with all these people quite well. Keep reading my blog and you will understand how media (TV/Press/News Channels/Business Channels) are all extremely manipulative and often fool people. And innocent people really fall for what the media makes them believe regarding politicians, actors/actresses, Swamis and Gurus and so thus start revering them. There is a famous quote in Hindi ‘Duniya Jhukti Hai. Jhukanewala Chahiye” (Meaning: The world starts bending before you provided you know how to bend it!”). As I keep writing my articles I will guide you how to read between the lines when you go through news items. So just keep reading my blog. You will emerge a lot smarter at the end of the day. By the way, I too have regular followers for this blog who keep reading all my articles.
79. Uday Sabnis (Marathi Actor). You all have seen him in ‘Lage Raho Munnabhai’ in which he plays the role of Gaitonde (a typical GSB name anyway) who is in BMC and ‘Circuit’ the sidekick of Munnabhai (played by Arshad Warsi) kidnaps this Gaitonde right in the beginning of the film and takes him to the office of the builder (played by Boman Irani) and this Gaitonde is forced to negotiate a deal. Actually, the GSB actress Pari Telang (who was mentioned above) was given a lot of encouragement by Uday Sabnis (So, just see the ‘Amchigele’ still works!)
80. Vijay Kenkre Famous Director and Actor of Marathi Theatre who is fondly called the ‘Narad’ of Marathi Theatre since he is very well connected with Marathi Theatre personalities and is an excellent communicator or link between many.
81. Dempo (famous Industrialists from Goa). Actually, the name is Dhempe. But, portuguese started calling Dhempe Dempo or Rege Rego. And so although the name surname ‘Dempo’ looks like a Christian surname it is not Christian. It is a GSB surname. Same is true with Rego.
82. Priya Tendulkar Actress. Now, who would forget the ‘Rajani’ of good old Doordarshan fame. Rajani was the top hit serial on Doordarshan where Priya played the role of Rajani who used to fight corrupt people in the establishment.
83. Vijay Tendulkar (Priya Tendulkar’s father). He was a very famous writer in Marathi literature.
84. Deepak Deulkar. Marathi Actor and husband of Nishigandha Wad. He currently plays Mahadev ThakurDesai in ETV Marathi’s TV Serial ‘Lek Ladki Ya Charchi’.
85. Pt. Prasad Saahukaar. A great actor of Marathi Theatre in good old days of Sangeet Natak (Musical Dramas. That is Dramas having songs in it. He is a good singer and is referred as a Pundit. So the Pt. before his name). He is also Maternal Uncle of famous Actor Ashok Saraf mentioned above. His family and Ashok Saraf’s family were traditionally involved with the work of Goldsmith (Sonar). And so the surnames ‘Saraf’ and ‘Saahukaar’. They are both Goan GSBs. And Prasad Saahukaar resides in Goa (and indeed a famous Goan due to his contribution to Marathi Sangeet Natak).
86. Sumati Kshetramade. She is a famous Marathi Writer. One of her famous novels was ‘Mahashweta’. A TV Serial named ’Mahashweta’ was made in Marathi based on this novel and leading roles were done by famous actors Avinash Narkar, Aishwarya Narkar (who nowadays is mostly seen in Hindi TV serials), Anand Abhyankar (In fact, I saw Anand Abhyankar for the first time in this TV Serial only). This TV Serial (and her novel) proves only one fact ‘Beauty is Skin Deep’ and also about the hard fact that men often fall in love of a woman for her lusty body (rather than anything else). The storyline is quite simple. Aishwarya Narkar is a beautiful girl of a school teacher (If I am not mistaken) and is from a poor but decent family. Avinash Narkar is a rich landlord. He falls in love with Aishwarya Narkar falling for her beauty. Anand Abhyankar is a boy who doing well in life but of middle class background and is in love with Aishwarya Narkar. But, he feels shy to reveal his love and always chokes when he tries to say “I Love You” on several occasions. Avinash is bold and proposes Aishwarya. She marries him. But, later after marriage (in a few months itself) she starts getting white patches on her body due to vitiligo or leucoderma. And then this rascal Avinash starts disliking her (In fact, hating her). But, Anand who truely loves that girl is still willing to accept her as his bride simply because his love was true love and not for her beauty but her good character and the rapport they had on several issues. Although I told you the storyline in short this TV Serial which was shown on good old Doordarshan was very well made and was a really good TV Serial which acquainted me with such a great writer’s novel. I was really moved.
87. Usha Nadkarni (Karwari GSB). Actress. If I am not mistaken (because I normally watch only Marathi TV Channels and not Hindi. So not sure about) she plays Manav’s mother in Pavitra Rishta.
88. Jaywant Dalvi. Famous Marathi Writer. If you could remember the Bollywood’s big hit ‘Namak Haraam’ (starring Rajesh Khanna, Amitabh Bachchan, Rekha) you could understand the power of his writing. Because Namak Haraam was a story propagating socialist views which were prevalent in India in the 1960s and early 1970s. And the story of Namak Haram is based on famous Marathi Natak ‘Beyimaan’ (in which famous Marathi actor Kiran Karmarkar (who became famous through Hindi TV Serial ‘Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabi Bahu Thi’ (If I am not mistaken) played the role that Amitabh Bachchan played in Namak Haraam). The storyline is quite simple. Amitabh Bachchan is a rich industrialist’s son who is also having friendship with a well educated but middle class guy played by Rajesh Khanna. Amitabh’s company has unrest of workers. He tells Rajesh Khanna to mix with the workers and befriend them and then become their leader and then work as he would dictate and thus break the strike of workers. But, when Rajesh Khanna actually mixes with workers he understands their plights and also the fact that their unrest is not invalid. So true he becomes their leader. But, disagrees to dance to the tune of Amitabh Bachchan. He disagrees being Beyimaan (or Namak Haram) with workers with so much of trust workers have given him. And Amitabh calls Rajesh Khanna a Namak Haram since he has not kept their friendship and worked according to his malicious plan to coerce workers to end the strike. Rekha plays role of some worker’s daughter and falls in love with Rajesh Khanna (typical Hindi film ka Masala). Basically, the original novel on which the Marathi Natak (Drama) ‘Beyimaan’ was made and become extremely successful (and then it lead to Bollywood making a film ‘Namak Haraam’ which also became very successful) was written by Jaywant Dalvi.
89. Sandhya Kamat (Current Dean, Sion Hospital, Mumbai)
90. Mrs. Pragnya Pai (Current Dean, KEM Hospital, Mumbai)
91. Baburao Pai. (Karwari GSB) His contribution of Bollywood films in the yesteryears is well known. He was involved in production of several hit films like Nargis (A film that had leading film actress Nargis (mother of Sanjay Dutt (of Munnabhai fame). Nargis was also a film in which Baby Tabassum (who later hosted ‘Phul Khile Hai Gulshan Gulshan’ a very very popular show on Doordarshan) made her debut. Even Tabassum realizes the contribution done by film makers like Baburao Pai for Bollywood (Hindi) film industry. If someone writes history or gets hold of history of Hindi Cinema the name Baburao Pai cannot be missed. He is also grandfather of Ashiwini Yardy mentioned above (as far as my knowledge goes).
92. Damu Kenkre. Father of Vijay Kenkre. His contribution to Marath Theatre is significant.
93. Vithal Mallya. Industrialist. Father of Vijay Mallya. He made a lot of fortune by just buying and selling a shares of few companies listed on the stock exchange.
94. Seema Saraf (Karwari GSB) (Now known as Seema Deo after her marriage with actor Ramesh Deo). Leading Actress who had made significant contribution to both Marathi and Hindi Cinema.
95. Linah Baliga (a Mangalorean GSB lady (I mean, Native place: Mangalore)). A leading journalist in The Times of India, Mumbai.
96. Aruna Kamat Pai. Additional public prosecutor, Maharashtra State.
97. Nishikant Kamat. Film Director. He shot to fame because of his famous Marathi film ‘Dombivli Fast’. Subsequently, he also directed the Hindi Film named ‘Mumbai Meri Jaan’ and if I am not mistaken his upcoming film starring John Abraham is PopKorn.
98. Sachin Kamalakar Khot (Belgaonvi GSB). Sachin Khot’s foray into the entertainment scene started with the super successful serial Shanti starring Mandira Bedi on the small screen for Doordarshan in 1997. Sachin Kamlakar Khot was a television director of shows like Kaun Banega Crorepati and Kagaar. He has previously made television serials for local channels in Indonesia. He has also directed Hindi film “Ugly Aur Pagli” (Star Cast Ranvir Shorey Mallika Sherawat) which was perhaps based on “My Sassy Girl”.
99. Vaishali Samant (Kudaldeshkar GSB). Singer (Her ‘Aika Dajiba’ and ‘Komdi Palali’ became evergreen Marathi hit songs).
100. Nirmala Samant Prabhavalkar. Former Mayor of Mumbai, Nirmala Samant Prabhavalkar is a High Court Advocate and Chairperson of Maharashtra State Women’s Commission.
101. Mangal Kenkre. Wife of Actor (Vijay Kenkre mentioned above). You is a leading Marathi actress who is mostly doing TV serials and advertisements in Hindi. In Her latest advertisement (of Cadbury: “Khane Ke Baad Meethe Mein Kya Hai” Series of Cadbury adverts) she plays role of Sasuma in the house. For example, in one of the latest Cadbury adverts in this series Sasuma’s grand-daughter quickly grabs her cadbury and eats a bit of it; but Sasuma (played by Mangal Kenkre) tells her little grand-daughter “Mujhe Toh Meri Pari Ka Jutha Chalega” when they are all (family) sitting at the dining table. In yet another advert, Sasuma (Mangal Kenkre) cooks some Lauki dish which no one (including her own husband) is willing to experiment with and everyone asks “Khane Ke Baad Meethe Mein Kya Hai”.
102. Medha Patkar (One of the most famous Social Activists in India belong to our caste. Shouldn’t we be proud?). Interestingly, she is daughter of Shri Vasant Khanolkar (which speaks for the hard fact that Medha Patkar was a GSB before marriage as well and also married a GSB guy. So it makes sense for GSBs to marry within the same caste as I have already mentioned in my post “Why a GSB girl must preferably marry within the same caste?”
103. Dwarkanath Sanzgiri (Cricket Commentator, Writer on Columns on Cricket for Newspapers and a leading Analyst on “Cricket”). He is actually a Civil Engineer in BMC (Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation). But, shot to fame due to his love for cricket and writing on it (covering matches all around the world)! It seems that even the latest TV Serial (based on topic of Honeymoon) “Madhu Ithe and Chandra Tithe” that is aired on Zee Marathi is also written by him (so I think he can write on other topics as well and not just cricket. In fact, I know that he has many stories to tell and I am very impressed about him after I got an opportunity to meet him).
104. Padmakar Shivalkar (Vaadikar GSB). Actually “Paddy” as he is widely known was one of the best spinners India had. But, unfortunately, because of Kishan Singh Bedi “Paddy” couldn’t make it in Indian Cricket Team. This is where India goes wrong. The team selection must be such that whenever a particular cricketer is out-of-form he must be dropped and others must be given a chance. So if in Kishan Singh Bedi’s out-of-form phase if Paddy was given a chance by Indian Cricket Selection Board we could have always got a winning team. Thankfully, today’s Indian Cricket Selection Board is far more sensible. So they do give newcomers chance if old timers are out-of-form. Due thanks must be given to Mr. Dhoni (India’s best captain ever) for this right strategy. That’s why India is nowadays one of the best teams in Cricket in the world.
105. Prem Kamath (Executive vice president of Channel V)
106. Madhukar Kamath MD & CEO, Mudra Communications and was also elected chairman of the board of Advertising Standards Council of India (ASCI). Advertising Standards Council of India (ASCI) is a body which could be contacted by you at email@example.com to complain about bad advertisements. For example, there was an advertisement shown on TV wherein a man uses a deodourant spray and visits a lady dentist (played by Snigdha Akolkar) and the lady dentist asks him to take a deep breath by closing on to him (near his mouth as though she were to kiss him) and then takes a deep breath herself such that the top button of her clothes (her top) falls of and her cleavage (and significant portion of her well developed breasts) is visible (And of all the ladies in the world a Marathi girl named Snigdha Akolkar did that advert. That speaks for falling standards in Marathi community). And the advertisement further says “Just Zatak Her” (This advert used to be aired on TV till recently. But, now it is off-air because conservative guys like me (keep reading my blog and you will realize how much conservative I am) who don’t like women to be portrayed in bad taste (or adverts with sexually coloured remarks on women) complain to ASCI about such bad adverts which show women (particularly Indian women) in bad light. Just google “snigdha akolkar zatak deo advert” (without quotes) and you will be able to quickly watch that lady dentist advert put by someone on the net and the perhaps remember that advert about which I was talking about earlier. Same is true about other deodourant adverts like that of “Axe Effect” in which women were shown jumping on a man in a stadium as though these women would rape him (as though women of this country named India are so cheap that they jump on men who spray Axe Effect (Such adverts are so pathetic!). So it is my kind request to all readers that whoever sees bad adverts on TV or in press (including those adverts making tall claims) must complain about such adverts by clearly mentioning the product they advertised (like “Axe Effect”) and also the time and name of TV Channel where the Advert was shown to ASCI at firstname.lastname@example.org with Subject line “Complaint about TV Advertisement …”. Then only these advertisers will learn to make good adverts. I am confident that ASCI will take strict action on such bad advertisements (I often refer advertisements as Adverts because officially (as per Queen’s language the short form for advertisements is “Adverts” and not “Ad” as is commonly called in India. Mr. Madhukar Kamath was also President of the AAAI.
107. Archana Patkar (Famous Marathi Actresss. Currently, plays Maushi of Aaryaa, Maithelee and Vishwa Mohan in the currently aired TV Serial ‘Abhaas Ha” on Zee Marathi at 8:30 PM.
107. Gauri Sukhtankar (Famous Marathi Actresss. Currently, plays Maithelee (elder sister of Aaryaa in the currently aired TV Serial ‘Abhaas Ha” on Zee Marathi at 8:30 PM. Gauri shot to fame through TV Serial ‘Bhairoba’ that is aired on Saam TV and is also termed as the “Marathi Saira Banu” because of her resemblance as regards her looks with Saira Banu (Remember Saira Banu the Veteran Hindi film star and wife of Dilip Kumar. Remember, the famous film song “Dil Vil Pyar Vyar Main Kya Janu Re (sung 2 Times). Janu Toh Bas Main Itna Janu. Tumhe Apna Manu Re” of the Hindi film ‘Shagird’ (a 1967 Hindi film. Just google “dil vil pyar vyar” (without quotes) and then press page down till you see Video of the song and then click on that YouTube video so that you can also watch this song on the net and remember the beautiful Saira Banu). And then just google “gauri sukhtankar pics” and click on Abhaas Hai Video to see how Gauri Sukhtankar looks and see for yourself the resemblance with Saira Banu (as regards looks).
108. Dr. Vasudha Kamat Vice Chancellor at SNDT Women’s University
109. Suresh Tendulkar was Eminent economist and a former chairman of the Prime Minister’s Economic Advisory Council and former chief of National Statistical Commission.
110. Reema Tendulkar (CNBC TV18 Anchor)
111. Sonia Shenoy (CNBC TV18 Anchor)
112. Dileep Padgaonkar Ex-Chief Editor of The Times of India.
113. Dileep Sardesai. Ex-Indian Cricketer. Also father of Rajdeep Sardesai (or CNN IBN fame).
114. Guru Thakur. Guru Thakur is a rising GSB Star personality (just google “guru thakur” and u will know why I call him so). He is known for writing famous lyrics of Marathi songs like “Man Udhan Waryache”, ”Apsara Aali”, “Mala Javudyana Ghari” (of Natrang fame) (just google and you could see and hear the song on youtube). Even today the title song of the Zee TV Serial “Tu Thithe Mee” and many other title songs of TV serials are written by Guru Thakur. He is also known for writing famous TV Serials like “Shriyut Gangadhar Tipre”, ”Hasa Chakat Fu”, etc. He is a multi faceted talent. He started as a caricature artist (born talent. Even as a small boy he started making caricatures (cartoons) of many people who visited his home). While he was in Chetna College he drew a cartoon of one of his professors who complained to College Principal. But, the Principal got impressed by Guru’s Talent and encouraged him to participate in contests. While Drawing cartoons on various issues he soon discovered that he could also write and that lead to writing TV Serials and subsequently he discovered (and the world discovered) that he can write catchy meaningful songs (and today he is indeed known for a lot of hit Marathi songs). Today, he is considered as future of Marathi/Hindi Songs/Dialogues/Stories for upcoming films. We are all proud that he is a GSB. He is handsome (just google “guru thakur” and see his pics too). He is available on Facebook. And if I am not mistaken he is a Bachelor (The most eligible bachelor – should I say?).
email@example.com has contributed the following famous GSB personalities
1. Dharmananda Damodar Kosambi – Pali language expert
2. Damodar Dharmananda Kosambi – – Famous Mathematician
3. Indrayani Sawkar -Writer
4. Meera Kosambi a prominent Indian sociologist
My comments: If Kosambi is a GSB Surname then we must not forget singer Abhijeet Kosambi who had once won the Zee Marathi’s Saregamapa and also perhaps participated in Zee’s Saregama (Hindi) shows.
In fact, it is said that almost 1/3rd restaurants in Mumbai are owned or run by GSB people. This reminds me of this joke about two Konkani GSB restaurant owners who were competing with each other. A Konkani GSB restaurant owner started a restaurant serving Chinese food. So to give the Chinese feel to people he named his restaurant “Hanga Yo!” (looks like Chinese name. But, actually are two Konkani words that say “Come Here”). Soon, another Konkani GSB restaurant owner got hold of a space opposite that Chinese restaurant. He started a restaurant serving Thai Cuisine. This streetsmart Konkani GSB guy wondered what Konkani words he must use to make people believe it is Thai Restaurant. He named his Restaurant “Thai Wochu Nakat!” (In Konkani it means “Don’t go over there!” depicting don’t visit the competing Chinese Restaurant).
I will keep adding to this list newer names. So keep watching!